Jump to Main Content
- Johansson, Daniel; Pereyra, RicardoT.; Rafajlović, Marina; Johannesson, Kerstin
- BMC ecology 2017 v.17 no.1 pp. 14
- North Sea, etc ; Fucus vesiculosus; basins; branches; habitats; macroalgae; models; mortality; phenotype; phenotypic plasticity; prediction; reproductive traits; salinity; sexual reproduction; Baltic Sea; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... BACKGROUND: Establishing populations in ecologically marginal habitats may require substantial phenotypic changes that come about through phenotypic plasticity, local adaptation, or both. West-Eberhard’s “plasticity-first” model suggests that plasticity allows for rapid colonisation of a new environment, followed by directional selection that develops local adaptation. Two predictions from this mo ...
- PubMed Central:
- Reyes, Carolina; Schneider, Dominik; Lipka, Marko; Thürmer, Andrea; Böttcher, Michael E.; Friedrich, Michael W.
- Marine biotechnology 2017 v.19 no.2 pp. 175-190
- North Sea, etc ; Archaea; Beggiatoa; Nitrobacter; Nitrosococcus; Nitrosomonas; Thiothrix; ammonia; ammonification; ammonium; bacteria; denitrification; genes; marine sediments; metagenomics; models; nitrates; nitrification; nitrites; nitrogen; nitrogen metabolism; oxidation; proteinases; ribosomal RNA; Baltic Sea; Show all 25 Subjects
- ... In this study, we analysed metagenomes along with biogeochemical profiles from Skagerrak (SK) and Bothnian Bay (BB) sediments, to trace the prevailing nitrogen pathways. NO₃ ⁻ was present in the top 5 cm below the sediment-water interface at both sites. NH₄ ⁺ increased with depth below 5 cm where it overlapped with the NO₃ ⁻ zone. Steady-state modelling of NO₃ ⁻ and NH₄ ⁺ porewater profiles indica ...
- PubMed Central: