Jump to Main Content
- Farrae, Daniel J.; Post, William C.; Darden, Tanya L.
- Conservation genetics 2017 v.18 no.4 pp. 813-823
- Acipenser oxyrinchus, etc ; autumn; effective population size; gene flow; genetic markers; genetic variation; inbreeding; juveniles; rivers; simulation models; spawning; spring; sturgeon; South Carolina; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Once widely abundant, most subpopulations of the endangered Atlantic sturgeon are now estimated to be only 1–10% of their historical levels. The Edisto River has been sampled for a long period and extensively for juvenile Atlantic sturgeon from separate spring- and fall-spawned cohorts. Our objectives are to characterize the genetic diversity, stability, adaptive potential, and potential genetic s ...
- Melnychuk, Michael C.; Dunton, Keith J.; Jordaan, Adrian; McKown, Kim A.; Frisk, Michael G.
- Journal of applied ecology 2017 v.54 no.3 pp. 914-925
- Acipenser oxyrinchus, etc ; acoustics; autumn; bycatch; coasts; gillnets; issues and policy; migratory behavior; migratory species; models; remote sensing; seasonal variation; spring; sturgeon; summer; surface water temperature; survival rate; telemetry; winter; New York; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... Causes of non‐intentional mortality may pose conservation challenges for long‐lived, migratory species. Recovery attempts for Atlantic sturgeon Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus populations in the USA have mainly involved closures of targeted fishing, but bycatch mortality from fisheries targeting other species remains a significant obstacle. Natural and fishing mortality levels are highly uncertain ...