Jump to Main Content
- Gastauer, Markus, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of arid environments 2017 v.142 pp. 50-58
- dry environmental conditions; ground vegetation; herbaceous plants; herbivores; nurse plants; phylogeny; species diversity; trees; vegetation
- ... Nurse plants reduce the environmental severity experienced by neighboring plants by providing shade, enabling nutrient accumulation or protection from herbivores within patches of vegetation. Nurse plants should preferentially promote the coexistence of ecologically dissimilar species with little niche overlap, and if ecological traits are conserved within evolutionary lineages, this should result ...
- Gastauer, Markus, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- The journal of ecology 2017 v.105 no.1 pp. 265-276
- ecological function; edge effects; extinction; forest restoration; habitat fragmentation; habitats; landscapes; models; phenotype; phylogeny; species diversity; trees; tropical forests
- ... Fragmentation of tropical forests is a major driver of the global extinction crisis. A key question is understanding how fragmentation impacts phylogenetic diversity, which summarizes the total evolutionary history shared across species within a community. Conserving phylogenetic diversity decreases the potential of losing unique ecological and phenotypic traits and plays important roles in mainta ...