Jump to Main Content
- Zahawi, Rakan A., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of applied ecology 2017 v.54 no.4 pp. 1091-1099
- cost effectiveness; deforestation; forest restoration; landscapes; models; natural regeneration; planting; rain forests; species diversity; species recruitment; tropical forests; tropical plants; tropics; Costa Rica
- ... Developing restoration strategies that accelerate natural successional processes and are resource‐efficient is critical to facilitating tropical forest recovery across millions of hectares of deforested lands in the tropics. We compared tree recruitment after a decade in three restoration treatments (natural regeneration, applied nucleation/island tree planting and plantation) and nearby reference ...
- Zahawi, Rakan A., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 2017 v.102 no.2 pp. 258-265
- biodiversity; case studies; decision making; ecosystem services; ecosystems; forest restoration; governance; land use; longevity; probability; remote sensing; stakeholders; surveys; tropical forests
- ... Why do some restored ecosystems persist for centuries while others are quickly converted to alternative land uses or land covers? We propose that restored ecosystems have a temporal dimension that is variable, often finite, and likely predictable to some extent based on attributes of stakeholders, environment, and governance. The longevity of a restored ecosystem carries strong implications for it ...