Jump to Main Content
- Keen, Carl L., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Journal of the American College of Nutrition 2017 v.36 no.1 pp. 44-56
- alcohol drinking; autumn; blood sampling; conception; ethanol; guidelines; pregnancy; pregnant women; prenatal care; vitamin D; vitamin D deficiency; vitamin status; Ukraine
- ... Objective: Heavy alcohol consumption can alter vitamin D status; however, the relationships between alcohol consumption and vitamin D concentrations in pregnant women have not been well studied. The aim of this study was to investigate the vitamin D status in a population of alcohol-exposed (N = 180) and low/unexposed control (N = 179) Ukrainian pregnant women. Methods: Women who attended prenatal ...
- PubMed Central:
- Keen, Carl L., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Journal of nutrition education and behavior 2017 v.49 no.1 pp. 73-78.e1
- Raman spectroscopy; carotenoids; food frequency questionnaires; nutritional intervention; students; vegetable consumption; vegetables
- ... To determine whether fourth-grade students participating in the Shaping Healthy Choices Program (SHCP), a school-based nutrition intervention, would change vegetable and carotenoid intake measured by skin carotenoids and dietary intake.Single-group pretest–posttest with a self-selected, convenience sample of students (n = 30) participating in the SHCP, which lasted 1 academic year (9 months). Diet ...
- Keen, Carl L., et al. Show all 18 Authors
- Journal of nutrition education and behavior 2017 v.49 no.5 pp. 368-379.e1
- analysis of variance; body mass index; elementary students; nutrition knowledge; schools; t-test; vegetables; waist-to-height ratio
- ... To evaluate the effectiveness of the Shaping Healthy Choices Program (SHCP).A clustered, randomized, controlled intervention lasting 1 school year.Schools in northern and central California.Fourth-graders (aged 9–10 years) at 2 control schools (n = 179) and 2 intervention schools (n = 230).Garden-enhanced education, family, and community partnerships; increased regionally procured produce in the l ...