Jump to Main Content
- Nielsen, Erik, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Forests 2017 v.8 no.5
- ecosystem services; forest management; funding; governance; interviews; land management; models; risk reduction; watersheds; wildfires; Arizona
- ... The full value of benefits rendered from healthy watersheds is difficult to estimate, and ecosystem service (ES) valuation sometimes necessarily occurs in the form of costs incurred or avoided. Along these lines, social-ecological systems including Payment for Watershed Services (PWS) are increasing in frequency and can help land management entities to bridge budget shortfalls for funding needed w ...
- Nielsen, Erik, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Cellulose 2017 v.24 no.9 pp. 3803-3813
- Medicago sativa; Perenniporia; alfalfa; bioethanol; biomass; byproducts; cell walls; cellulose; cellulosic fibers; environmental impact; enzymatic hydrolysis; enzymes; fungi; furfural; high performance liquid chromatography; hydroxymethylfurfural; lignin; lignocellulosic wastes; microwave treatment; phosphoric acid; scanning electron microscopy; stems; sugars; temperature; thermogravimetry
- ... Enzymes of wood decay fungi can be exploited to degrade lignocellulosic wastes for sustainable production of bioethanol. Perenniporia meridionalis was tested for growing at different temperatures on stems of alfalfa. The process aims to produce fermentable sugars and can be divided into the following steps: (1) fungal treatment to degrade lignin, (2) microwave pretreatment in water or in phosphori ...