Jump to Main Content
- Panas, Panayiotis, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Energy conversion and management 2017 v.135 pp. 256-260
- alcoholic fermentation; aluminum oxide; biodiesel; biorefining; cheese whey; esterification; ethanol; kefir; lactic acid; lactose; upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor; whey
- ... Cheese whey exploitation in a biorefinery manner is proposed involving anaerobic acidogenesis by a UASB mixed anaerobic culture and alcoholic fermentation by kefir. Both cultures were immobilized on γ-alumina. The produced organic acids (OAs) and ethanol could be esterified to obtain a novel ester-based biofuel similar to biodiesel. During acidogenesis, lactic acid-type fermentation occurred leadi ...
- Panas, Panayiotis, et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + [i.e. und] Technologie 2017 v.84 pp. 344-352
- Aspergillus niger; Citrus medica; Escherichia coli; Listeria monocytogenes; Pseudomonas fragi; Saccharomyces cerevisiae; Salmonella Enteritidis; Salmonella Typhimurium; Staphylococcus aureus; Staphylococcus epidermidis; antimicrobial properties; essential oils; food industry; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; human cell lines; limonene; melanoma; nitric oxide; oils; solid phase microextraction
- ... The aim of the study was to investigate the antimicrobial and antiproliferative activity of Citrus medica essential oil produced by hydrostillation and evaluate its commercial potential in the food industry. The main constituent of the C. medica peels and essential oil identified by SPME GC/MS or GC/MS analysis was limonene (≈88 and 64%, respectively). The antimicrobial properties were assayed and ...