Jump to Main Content
- Pappa, Aglaia, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- The international journal of biochemistry & cell biology 2017 v.89 pp. 16-24
- Escherichia coli; aldehyde dehydrogenase; aldehydes; citrate (si)-synthase; cornea; cytotoxicity; epithelium; homeostasis; humans; hydrogen peroxide; oxidation; oxidative stress; recombinant proteins; thermal stress
- ... Aldehyde dehydrogenase 3A1 (ALDH3A1) is a metabolic enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of various aldehydes. Certain types of epithelial tissues in mammals, especially those continually exposed to environmental stress (e.g., corneal epithelium), express ALDH3A1 at high levels and its abundance in such tissues is perceived to help to maintain cellular homeostasis under conditions of oxidative stre ...
- Pappa, Aglaia, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Toxicology 2017
- antioxidant activity; astrocytes; brain; cell death; disease course; electrons; energy; energy requirements; glycolysis; homeostasis; mitochondria; nervous system diseases; neurons; oligodendroglia; oxidative phosphorylation; pathogenesis
- ... Mitochondrial dysfunction is central to the pathogenesis of neurological disorders. Neurons rely on oxidative phosphorylation to meet their energy requirements and thus alterations in mitochondrial function are linked to energy failure and neuronal cell death. Furthermore, dysfunctional mitochondria are reported to increase the steady-state levels of reactive oxygen species derived from the leakag ...
- PubMed Central:
- Pappa, Aglaia, et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + [i.e. und] Technologie 2017 v.84 pp. 344-352
- Aspergillus niger; Citrus medica; Escherichia coli; Listeria monocytogenes; Pseudomonas fragi; Saccharomyces cerevisiae; Salmonella Enteritidis; Salmonella Typhimurium; Staphylococcus aureus; Staphylococcus epidermidis; antimicrobial properties; essential oils; food industry; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; human cell lines; limonene; melanoma; nitric oxide; oils; solid phase microextraction
- ... The aim of the study was to investigate the antimicrobial and antiproliferative activity of Citrus medica essential oil produced by hydrostillation and evaluate its commercial potential in the food industry. The main constituent of the C. medica peels and essential oil identified by SPME GC/MS or GC/MS analysis was limonene (≈88 and 64%, respectively). The antimicrobial properties were assayed and ...