Jump to Main Content
- Kataja-aho, Saana; Hannonen, Paloma; Liukkonen, Titta; Rosten, Hertta; Koivula, Matti J.; Koponen, Seppo; Haimi, Jari
- Forest ecology and management 2016 v.371 pp. 75-83
- stumps, etc ; Araneae; Carabidae; Collembola; Formicidae; Opiliones; Picea abies; arthropod communities; arthropods; biodiversity; bioenergy; biomass; community structure; fauna; forest litter; forests; fuels (fire ecology); harvesting; logging; mineral soils; pitfall traps; Finland; Show all 22 Subjects
- ... Forest fuel harvesting increases the need to collect not just logging residues but also tree stumps from harvested stands. This biomass removal has raised concern over forest biodiversity. Here, the effects of stump harvesting on spiders, ants, harvestmen, ground beetles and epiedaphic springtails occupying boreal Norway spruce (Picea abies) forest floor were studied two and five years after harve ...
- Laitila, Juha; Asikainen, Antti; Ranta, Tapio
- Biomass and bioenergy 2016 v.90 pp. 252-261
- stumps, etc ; bark; biomass; cost analysis; cost effectiveness; forest industries; forests; freight; geographic information systems; industrial byproducts; laws and regulations; models; sawdust; sawmills; whole tree harvesting; wood; wood chips; Finland; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Laws mandating the physical dimensions of freight transport vehicles were changed in Finland and the new legislation enables higher gross weights as well as larger load capacities. The aim of this study was to examine truck transportation costs associated with forest chips and forest industry by-products as a function of transportation distance and procurement volume in order to determine the most ...