Jump to Main Content
- Stanturf, John A., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Environmental science and pollution research international 2016 v.23 no.14 pp. 13637-13652
- Pinus sylvestris; afforestation; age structure; basal area; climatic factors; dendrochronology; ecosystems; growth rings; middle-aged adults; mined soils; mining; oil shale; plantations; spring; summer; temperature; trees; wood; Estonia
- ... Afforestation on reclaimed mining areas has high ecological and economic importance. However, ecosystems established on post-mining substrate can become vulnerable due to climate variability. We used tree-ring data and dendrochronological techniques to study the relationship between climate variables and annual growth of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) growing on reclaimed open cast oil shale min ...
- Stanturf, John A., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- BioEnergy research 2016 v.9 no.2 pp. 492-506
- afforestation; biodiversity; biomass; carbon sequestration; crop production; crops; ecosystem services; ecosystems; environmental technology; forest restoration; freshwater; genotype; phytoremediation; production technology; soil erosion; soil pollution; soil quality; urban population; water pollution; water shortages
- ... Soil erosion, loss of productivity potential, biodiversity loss, water shortage, and soil and water pollution are ongoing processes that decrease or degrade provisioning (e.g., biomass, freshwater) and regulating (e.g., carbon sequestration, soil quality) ecosystem services. Therefore, developing environmental technologies that maximize these services is essential for the continued support of rura ...