Jump to Main Content
- Stanturf, John A., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- BioEnergy research 2016 v.9 no.2 pp. 465-491
- USDA Forest Service; bioenergy; biomass; carbon sequestration; carbon sinks; crop production; crops; ecosystem services; energy; pests; production technology; research and development; soil; wildlife habitats
- ... Short-rotation woody crops are an integral component of regional and national energy portfolios, as well as providing essential ecosystem services such as biomass supplies, carbon sinks, clean water, and healthy soils. We review recent USDA Forest Service Research and Development efforts from the USDA Biomass Research Centers on the provisioning of these ecosystem services from woody crop producti ...
- Stanturf, John A., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- BioEnergy research 2016 v.9 no.2 pp. 492-506
- afforestation; biodiversity; biomass; carbon sequestration; crop production; crops; ecosystem services; ecosystems; environmental technology; forest restoration; freshwater; genotype; phytoremediation; production technology; soil erosion; soil pollution; soil quality; urban population; water pollution; water shortages
- ... Soil erosion, loss of productivity potential, biodiversity loss, water shortage, and soil and water pollution are ongoing processes that decrease or degrade provisioning (e.g., biomass, freshwater) and regulating (e.g., carbon sequestration, soil quality) ecosystem services. Therefore, developing environmental technologies that maximize these services is essential for the continued support of rura ...