Jump to Main Content
- Brijs, Kristof, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Food hydrocolloids 2016 v.61 pp. 914-922
- amyloid; chickens; disulfide bonds; dithiothreitol; egg albumen; fluorescence; heat; heat treatment; hydrocolloids; iodates; light scattering; ovalbumin; oxidants; particle size; reducing agents; ultrasonics
- ... During heating of ovalbumin, the major protein of chicken egg white, amyloid-like aggregates are formed. Process conditions, redox agents and the presence of other proteins affect the specific nature of amyloid formation. In this work, amyloid formation of ovalbumin was investigated using a combination of fluorescence measurements, dynamic light scattering and ultrasound measurements. Fluorescence ...
- Brijs, Kristof, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Food hydrocolloids 2016 v.61 pp. 409-414
- baking; cakes; denaturation; disulfide bonds; egg albumen; gelatinization; gliadin; high performance liquid chromatography; hydrocolloids; lysozyme; ovalbumin; ovomucin; starch; sulfhydryl groups; wheat flour
- ... During pound cake baking, structure sets as a result of starch gelatinization and protein network formation. These processes are crucial for pound cake quality. However, the relative contribution of the different proteins to the network formation has hardly been studied. Here, protein extraction in different media and size-exclusion HPLC analysis are used to monitor 15N-labeled egg white protein a ...