Jump to Main Content
- MULLER, KATHERINE E.; WAGENIUS, STUART
- Ecological entomology 2016 v.41 no.1 pp. 51-60
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; Echinacea angustifolia; field experimentation; herbivores; observational studies; perennials; Show all 6 Subjects
- ... 1. The impact of herbivores on plant fitness depends on multiple ecological mechanisms, including interactions between herbivore guilds. 2. This study assessed the effects of a specialist aphid (Aphis echinaceae) on performance and foliar herbivore damage of a long‐lived perennial plant (Echinacea angustifolia) native to the North American tallgrass prairie. A 2‐year field experiment manipulating ...
- Mooney, Emily H.; Phillips, Joseph S.; Tillberg, Chadwick V.; Sandrow, Cheryl; Nelson, Annika S.; Mooney, Kailen A.; Angert, Amy
- Ecology letters 2016 v.19 no.1 pp. 37-44
- Aphis (Aphididae), etc ; Ligusticum; herbivores; host plants; meadows; mutualism; population growth; predators; understory; Show all 9 Subjects
- ... Species abundance is typically determined by the abiotic environment, but the extent to which such effects occur through the mediation of biotic interactions, including mutualisms, is unknown. We explored how light environment (open meadow vs. shaded understory) mediates the abundance and ant tending of the aphid Aphis helianthi feeding on the herb Ligusticum porteri. Yearly surveys consistently f ...