Jump to Main Content
- Carlos Alberto Soares da Costa; Paula Cristina Alves da Silva; Danielle Cavalcante Ribeiro; Aline D'Avila Pereira; Aline de Sousa dos Santos; Maíra Duque Coutinho de Abreu; Letícia Rozeno Pessoa; Bianca Ferolla da Camara Boueri; Carolina Ribeiro Pessanha; Celly Cristina Alves do Nascimento-Saba; Eduardo Moreira da Silva; Gilson Teles Boaventura
- Food & function 2016 v.7 no.2 pp. 698-703
- Linum usitatissimum; X-ray absorption spectroscopy; adipocytes; adiposity; alpha-linolenic acid; animal models; blood serum; bone density; bone health; dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry; experimental diets; femur; flour; food intake; functional properties; laboratory animals; lactation; linseed; males; obesity; pups; rats; vertebrae
- ... Flaxseed flour has been described as an excellent alpha-linolenic acid source. This study was designed to evaluate the effects of flaxseed flour on body adiposity and bone health in rats fed a flaxseed flour diet during lactation until 90 days. At birth, male Wistar rats were randomly assigned to control (C) and experimental (FF) groups, whose dams were treated with a control or flaxseed flour die ...
- Kirsten N. Bott; Sandra M. Sacco; Patrick C. Turnbull; Amanda B. Longo; Wendy E. Ward; Sandra J. Peters
- Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 2016 v.41 no.6 pp. 597-604
- bone density; bone strength; dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry; food intake; males; mandible (bone); mastication; materials testing; metabolism; micro-computed tomography; rats; skeleton; tibia; vertebrae
- ... Bone microarchitecture, bone mineral density (BMD), and bone strength are affected positively by impact activities such as running; however, there are discrepancies in the magnitude of these effects. These inconsistencies are mainly a result of varying training protocols, analysis techniques, and whether or not the skeletal sites measured are weight bearing. This study’s purpose was to determine t ...