Jump to Main Content
- Patterson, David A., et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Ecological applications 2016 v.26 no.4 pp. 959-978
- Oncorhynchus nerka; acoustics; adults; fisheries; freshwater; juveniles; laboratory experimentation; lakes; marine environment; models; predators; rearing; rivers; saline water; salmon; smolts; survival rate; swimming; transportation; British Columbia; Pacific Ocean
- ... Few estimates of migration rates or descriptions of behavior or survival exist for wild populations of out‐migrating Pacific salmon smolts from natal freshwater rearing areas to the ocean. Using acoustic transmitters and fixed receiver arrays across four years (2010–2013), we tracked the migration of >1850 wild sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) smolts from Chilko Lake, British Columbia, to the c ...
- Patterson, David A., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Canadian journal of fisheries and aquatic sciences 2016 v.74 no.1 pp. 15-22
- Oncorhynchus nerka; body size; eggs; females; fish; gonads; lakes; life history; lipids; males; models; rivers; seasonal variation; spawning; streams
- ... We examined a small population of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) that enters their natal stream, to hold in their natal lake, months (>130 days) prior to spawning. This effectively decouples the influence of spawn timing requirements and behaviours from river entry (alternately referred to as “marine exit”) timing and is therefore a good model to study the migration strategies specifically as ...