Jump to Main Content
- Welch, David W., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 2016 v.28 no.4 pp. 240-251
- Oncorhynchus tshawytscha; dissolved gases; gas bubble disease; laboratory experimentation; long term effects; predation; rivers; smolts; survival rate; tanks; yearlings; Columbia River; United States
- ... In 2011, unusually high flows caused total dissolved gas (TDG) levels in the Columbia River, USA, to escalate well above the 120% regulatory limit that was imposed to prevent harmful impacts to aquatic organisms. After observing gas bubble trauma (GBT) in dead yearling Chinook Salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha (smolts) held in tanks, we compared estimated survival rates of acoustic-tagged in-river-m ...
- Welch, David W., et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Ecological applications 2016 v.26 no.4 pp. 959-978
- Oncorhynchus nerka; acoustics; adults; fisheries; freshwater; juveniles; laboratory experimentation; lakes; marine environment; models; predators; rearing; rivers; saline water; salmon; smolts; survival rate; swimming; transportation; British Columbia; Pacific Ocean
- ... Few estimates of migration rates or descriptions of behavior or survival exist for wild populations of out‐migrating Pacific salmon smolts from natal freshwater rearing areas to the ocean. Using acoustic transmitters and fixed receiver arrays across four years (2010–2013), we tracked the migration of >1850 wild sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) smolts from Chilko Lake, British Columbia, to the c ...