Jump to Main Content
- Jahanbakhsh, S.; Letellier, A.; Fairbrother, J.M.
- Journal of applied microbiology 2016 v.121 no.1 pp. 136-148
- commercial farms, etc ; Enterobacter cloacae; Escherichia coli; antibiotic resistance; beta-lactamase; ceftiofur; chlortetracycline; clay; feces; genes; hygiene; ingredients; medicated feeds; penicillins; phylogeny; phylotype; plasmids; polymerase chain reaction; pulsed-field gel electrophoresis; swine; weaning; Show all 21 Subjects
- ... AIMS: To investigate the mechanisms leading to an increase in the prevalence of blaCMY ‐₂ conferring resistance to ceftiofur in pigs receiving a feed medicated with chlortetracycline and penicillin, and to examine the effect of supplementation with a clay mineral on this phenomenon. METHODS AND RESULTS: In 138 blaCMY ‐₂‐positive Escherichia coli isolates from faeces of pigs receiving feed suppleme ...
- Iwa, Chinwe Juliana; Iweriebor, Benson Chuks; Obi, Larry Chikwelu; Basson, Albertus Kotze; Okoh, Anthony Ifeanyi
- Journal of food protection 2016 v.79 no.7 pp. 1234-1239
- commercial farms, etc ; Salmonella; adults; ampicillin; antibiotic resistance; bacteria; disease control; feces; food chain; genes; growth promotion; herds; humans; multiple drug resistance; nalidixic acid; oxytetracycline; pathogens; phenotype; public health; serotypes; streptomycin; swine; tetracycline; South Africa; Show all 24 Subjects
- ... The exposure of farm animals to antimicrobials for treatment, prophylaxis, or growth promotion can select for resistant bacteria that can be transmitted to humans, and Salmonella as an important zoonotic pathogen can act as a potential reservoir of antimicrobial resistance determinants. We assessed the antibiogram profiles of Salmonella species isolated from pig herds in two commercial farms in So ...