Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: lange?
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Plant and soil 2016 v.409 no.1-2 pp. 203-216
- copper; ecological competition; fire ecology; fire intensity; fire season; grasslands; growing season; ion exchange resins; iron; magnesium; manganese; microbial biomass; models; nitrification; nitrogen; nutrients; phospholipid fatty acids; phosphorus; phytomass; potassium; primary productivity; soil microorganisms; soil nutrients; sulfur
- ... Understanding nutrient limitation is essential for interpreting grassland dynamics and responses to disturbance(s). Effects of fire on the biomass of grassland plants and soil microbes is likely mediated by short-term pulses of limiting resources. We used a replicated fire ecology experiment with eight fire season and history treatments to interpret the nutrients that limit plant and soil microbe ...
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Nature Communications 2016 v.7 pp. 11766
- climate; climate change; grasslands; models; niches; plant communities
- ... Theory predicts that strong indirect effects of environmental change will impact communities when niche differences between competitors are small and variation in the direct effects experienced by competitors is large, but empirical tests are lacking. Here we estimate negative frequency dependence, a proxy for niche differences, and quantify the direct and indirect effects of climate change on eac ...
- PubMed Central:
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Rangeland ecology & management 2016 v.69 no.2 pp. 144-149
- Ageneotettix deorum; biomass; burning; fire ecology; forage; grasshoppers; grazing intensity; range management; reproduction; summer; vegetation; wildfires; Great Plains region; Montana
- ... Rangeland management practices such as burning and grazing may affect the development, survival, and reproduction of grasshopper populations. Experiments in the northern Great Plains that examine effects of fire and grazing utilization on grasshoppers are lacking. As part of a larger study examining vegetation responses to late summer fire and postfire grazing utilization in semiarid mixed prairie ...