Jump to Main Content
- Lloyd‐Jones, David J.; Briskie, James V.; Fusani, L.
- Ethology 2016 v.122 no.1 pp. 61-71
- wattles, etc ; blood; engorgement; females; males; ornamental birds; ornamental value; sexual selection; territoriality; New Zealand; Show all 10 Subjects
- ... Many birds have ornamental traits that are expressed in both sexes. Wattles—colorful fleshy structures that hang from the lower bill—are frequent among birds, but remain poorly understood and are generally presumed to be under sexual selection. The South Island saddleback (Philesturnus carunculatus) is an endangered bird endemic to New Zealand in which both males and females possess wattles. We us ...
- Heidari, Mohammad; Wang, Dan; Fitzgerald, Scott D.; Sun, Shuhong
- Avian pathology 2016 v.45 no.5 pp. 582-592
- wattles, etc ; Mardivirus; Micrococcus; T-lymphocytes; cellulitis; chickens; connective tissues; dermatitis; etiological agents; histopathology; inducible nitric oxide synthase; interleukin-12; interleukin-18; interleukin-6; interleukin-8; macrophages; necrosis; neoplasms; oncogenes; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; spleen; viruses; Show all 22 Subjects
- ... Marek’s disease virus (MDV), the aetiological agent of Mareks' disease (MD), is a highly cell-associated oncogenic α-herpesvirus that replicates in chicken lymphocytes and establishes a latent infection within CD4 ⁺ T cells. We investigated the possible effect of MDV infection on the exacerbation of necrotic dermatitis in the combs of MD-susceptible (7 ₂) and MD-resistant (6 ₃) chicken lines at 21 ...