Jump to Main Content
- Macías-Duarte, Alberto; Conway, Courtney J.
- The Auk 2015 v.132 no.1 pp. 25-36
- Athene cunicularia, etc ; birds of prey; deserts; deuterium; feathers; food webs; grasslands; juveniles; models; stable isotopes; Canada; Mexico; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Deuterium (²H) has been used to track movements of land birds, under the assumption that δ²H in precipitation (δ²Hₚ) and δ²H in bird feathers (δ²Hf) are correlated across broad geographic gradients. The nature of this correlation has been evaluated only in a small percentage of the birds that breed in North America. We sampled Western Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia hypugaea) feathers of known o ...
- Fisher, Ryan J.; Wellicome, Troy I.; Bayne, Erin M.; Poulin, Ray G.; Todd, L. Danielle; Ford, Adam T.; Fuller, Richard
- Journal of applied ecology 2015 v.52 no.6 pp. 1500-1508
- Athene cunicularia, etc ; adverse effects; birds of prey; breeding season; burrowing; burrows; climate change; dietary supplements; fledglings; food shortages; habitats; highlands; landscapes; nests; pastures; rain; reproductive performance; soil types; survival rate; vegetation; wildlife; Canada; Show all 22 Subjects
- ... The frequency and intensity of extreme weather has increased in North America against a backdrop of anthropogenic land change. Few studies have examined how wildlife is affected by extreme weather, and none have examined whether any resulting effects are contingent upon the degree of anthropogenic landscape change. Using an 8‐year study in Canada (2003–2010), we examined how nest survival of burro ...