Jump to Main Content
- Gossner, Martin M., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Journal of applied ecology 2015 v.52 no.3 pp. 753-762
- Carpinus; Coleoptera; Fagus; Fraxinus; Larix; Picea abies; Pseudotsuga; Tilia; conifers; dead wood; forests; harvesting; host preferences; host specificity; hosts; managers; models; plantations; stand management; trees; wages and remuneration; Germany
- ... Among saproxylic beetles, many early colonizers prefer particular host species. Ranking of preferred hosts of local saproxylic beetle communities is critical for effective dead‐wood management in forests, but is rarely done because experiments with numerous tree species are labour and cost intensive. We analysed the host preference of local saproxylic beetle communities on logs of 13 tree species ...
- Gossner, Martin M., et al. Show all 17 Authors
- Ecography 2015 v.38 no.5 pp. 499-509
- Coleoptera; climate; dead wood; decline; forest stands; forests; global warming; habitat destruction; habitats; insects; land use change; rearing; species diversity; temperature; threatened species; wood; Europe
- ... Global warming and land‐use change are expected to be additive threats to global diversity, to which insects contribute the highest proportion. Insects are strongly influenced by temperature but also require specific habitat resources, and thus interaction between the two factors is likely. We selected saproxylic beetles as a model group because their life cycle depends on dead wood, which is high ...