Jump to Main Content
- Greene, Rebecca; Van Bonn, William G.; Dennison, Sophie E.; Greig, Denise J.; Gulland, Frances M. D.
- Journal of zoo and wildlife medicine 2015 v.46 no.2 pp. 414-416
- hernia; hiatal hernia, etc ; Mirounga angustirostris; anesthesia; antagonists; diaphragm; drug therapy; endoscopy; females; gastric fundus; gastroesophageal reflux; malnutrition; pups; radiography; seals; sedation; thorax; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... A female northern elephant seal (Mirounga angustirostris) weaned pup presented with malnutrition. During rehabilitation, the seal developed regurgitation and reduced lung sounds on auscultation. Radiographs and endoscopy performed under sedation suggested a diaphragmatic hernia. A Type I (or sliding) hiatal hernia was confirmed with a positive contrast upper gastrointestinal study, revealing varyi ...
- Barfield, Dominic M; Gibson, Andrew D; Lipscomb, Vicky J
- Journal of feline medicine and surgery open reports 2015 v.1 no.1
- hernia, etc ; ammonia; blood; diaphragm; drug therapy; encephalopathy; laparotomy; liver; seizures; thorax; Show all 10 Subjects
- ... A cat with a chronic diaphragmatic rupture presented with neurological signs, including twitching and focal seizures. Blood ammonia level was markedly elevated and therefore neurological signs were thought to be related to hepatic encephalopathy. Exploratory laparotomy revealed that the left lateral and medial liver lobes were herniated into the thorax and multiple acquired portosystemic shunts (M ...