Jump to Main Content
- Lorbeer, Andrew John; Lahnstein, Jelle; Bulone, Vincent; Nguyen, Trung; Zhang, Wei
- Bioresource technology 2015 v.197 pp. 302-309
- Ecklonia radiata, etc ; algae; alginates; biorefining; cross contamination; fucoidan; molecular weight; pH; response surface methodology; temperature; Show all 10 Subjects
- ... The aim of this study was to optimize the acidic treatment of the brown alga Ecklonia radiata in order to extract fucoidan and facilitate the efficient sequential extraction of alginates. Response surface methodology was used to determine the effects of the temperature, pH, and duration of the acidic treatment on fucoidan yield, alginate extractability, and the molecular weight of sequentially ext ...
- Lorbeer, A. J.; Lahnstein, J.; Fincher, G. B.; Su, P.; Zhang, W.
- Journal of applied phycology 2015 v.27 no.5 pp. 2079-2087
- Ecklonia radiata, etc ; bioactive properties; cell walls; extracts; fucoidan; fucose; heat; hydrochloric acid; industry; methodology; microwave treatment; molecular weight; pH; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Fucoidans—the bioactive and structurally diverse polysaccharides from brown algae—have potential applications in the health industry, but development has been hampered by difficulties in controlling the structure, purity, and consistency of the product. Importantly, the extraction technique affects the nature of the product by preferentially extracting differing fucoidan compounds, whilst simultan ...