Jump to Main Content
- Jones, Timothy; Gardner, Jonathan P.A.; Bell, James J.
- Ecological modelling 2015 v.313 pp. 149-161
- Ecklonia radiata, etc ; Macrocystis pyrifera; biomechanics; coasts; ecosystem engineers; macroalgae; models; prediction; probability; reefs; storms; New Zealand; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... In shallow marine environments, wave-induced disturbance can have a major influence on species abundance and distribution patterns. Understanding how waves affect habitat engineers, such as macroalgae, is therefore important for understanding subtidal community dynamics. In this study a wave model (SWAN) was used to identify the spatial distribution of wave forces across the Wellington south coast ...
- Young, Mary; Ierodiaconou, Daniel; Womersley, Tim
- Remote sensing of environment 2015 v.170 pp. 178-187
- Ecklonia radiata, etc ; autocorrelation; biodiversity; canopy; carbon; climate change; coasts; data collection; environmental factors; habitats; lidar; macroalgae; marine ecosystems; models; planning; prediction; reefs; remote sensing; temperate forests; topography; water power; Victoria (Australia); Show all 22 Subjects
- ... Large brown seaweeds (kelps) form forests in temperate and boreal marine systems that serve as foundations to the structure and dynamics of communities. Mapping the distributions of these species is important to understanding the ecology of coastal environments, managing marine ecosystems (e.g., spatial planning), predicting consequences of climate change and the potential for carbon production. W ...