Jump to Main Content
- Conrad, Marcus; Ingold, Irina; Buday, Katalin; Kobayashi, Sho; Angeli, Jose Pedro Friedmann
- BBA - General Subjects 2015 v.1850 pp. 1566-1574
- gametogenesis, etc ; byproducts; glutathione; males; metabolism; models; peroxidases; reactive oxygen species; spermatozoa; thiols; Show all 10 Subjects
- ... During maturation and storage, spermatozoa generate substantial amounts of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and are thus forced to cope with an increasingly oxidative environment that is both needed and detrimental to their biology. Such a janus-faceted intermediate needs to be tightly controlled and this is done by a wide array of redox enzymes. These enzymes not only have to prevent unspecific modi ...
- Wong, Nicholas A.; Sewell, Mary A.
- Invertebrate biology 2015 v.134 no.4 pp. 303-317
- gametogenesis, etc ; Charybdis; autumn; crabs; ecology; estuaries; gravid females; invasive species; males; oocytes; photoperiod; rivers; sex ratio; spawning; spermatozoa; spring; surface temperature; trapping; winter; New Zealand; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... The Asian paddle crab, Charybdis japonica, native to the northwest Pacific, is an invasive species that has established populations within northeastern New Zealand. Here, we provide a detailed examination of C. japonica's reproductive seasonality and gametogenesis, sizes at physiological maturity, and sex ratios outside its native range. Trapping in the Weiti River Estuary, Whangaparoa (36°38.4′S, ...