Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: david?
- Davis, Andrew K., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Insect conservation and diversity 2015 v.8 no.2 pp. 103-106
- Danaus plexippus; migratory behavior; mortality; overwintering; scientists; volunteers; North America
- ... Recent declines in the size of overwintering colonies of monarch butterflies (Danaus plexippus) in eastern North America have stimulated calls for greater conservation efforts of the migratory phenomenon. Conservation decisions, however, should be guided by sound science, and the migratory phase of this population is the least‐studied part of its life cycle. Data from large‐scale citizen science p ...
- Davis, Andrew K., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Journal of insects 2015 v.2015 no.591705
- Danaus plexippus; butterflies; females; flight; flight muscles; intraspecific variation; males; migratory behavior; strength (mechanics); thorax; wings; North America
- ... Optimal flight in butterflies depends on structural features of the wings and body, including wing size, flight muscle size, and wing loading. Arguably, there is no butterfly for which flight is more important than the monarch (Danaus plexippus), which undergoes long-distance migrations in North America. We examined morphological features of monarchs that would explain the apparent higher migrator ...