Jump to Main Content
- Ramirez, Martina G.; Oliveri, Celina M.; Mismar, Dina; Barsoum, Amy; Abdulla, Jasmin
- Invertebrate Reproduction & Development 2015 v.59 no.2 pp. 96-103
- sex allocation, etc ; Araneidae; adults; daughters; eggs; females; males; mortality; mothers; sex ratio; sons; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Male Mastophora cornigera exit egg sacs as adults, which allowed us to determine spiderling sex ratios and patterns of maternal investment in this species. We collected 15 egg sacs produced by seven mothers, which yielded 1945 emergent spiderlings which were sexed, 1850 of which were weighed. Two emergent broods were significantly male and female biased and were unaffected by pre-emergence mortali ...
- Kahn, A. T.; Jennions, Michael D.; Kokko, Hanna
- Journal of evolutionary biology 2015 v.28 no.2 pp. 428-437
- sex allocation, etc ; mathematical models; mortality; parents; prediction; progeny; sex ratio; siblings; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... Generally, sex‐specific mortality is not expected to affect optimal patterns of sex allocation. Several authors have, however, made verbal arguments that this is not true if juvenile mortality is sex specific during the period of parental care. Here, we provide formal mathematical models exploring the effect of such mortality on optimal sex allocation. We confirm the prediction that biased product ...