Jump to Main Content
- van Jaarsveld, Paul J.; Faber, Mieke; van Stuijvenberg, Martha E.
- food fortification, etc ; corn meal; households; iron; nutrient deficiencies; rural areas; supermarkets; vitamin A; wheat flour; white bread; zinc; South Africa; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... A national mandatory food fortification program, fortifying wheat flour and maize meal with various micronutrients, was introduced in South Africa in 2003 to address micronutrient deficiencies. This study aimed to determine vitamin A, iron, and zinc content of raw maize meal and wheat flour bread sampled at household level from 2 urban and 2 rural areas in South Africa and to compare with the regu ...
- Martorell, Reynaldo; Ascencio, Melany; Tacsan, Luis; Alfaro, Thelma; Young, Melissa F; Addo, O Yaw; Dary, Omar; Flores-Ayala, Rafael
- TheAmerican journal of clinical nutrition 2015 v.101 no.1 pp. 210-217
- food fortification, etc ; Estimated Average Requirement; children; clinical nutrition; corn flour; dried milk; fortified foods; hemoglobin; iron; iron deficiency anemia; milk; monitoring; national surveys; nutrient deficiencies; program evaluation; wheat flour; women; Costa Rica; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Background: Food fortification is one approach for addressing anemia, but information on program effectiveness is limited.Objective: We evaluated the impact of Costa Rica's fortification program on anemia in women aged 15–45 y and children aged 1–7 y.Design: Reduced iron, an ineffective fortificant, was replaced by ferrous fumarate in wheat flour in 2002, and ferrous bisglycinate was added to maiz ...
- PubMed Central: