Jump to Main Content
- van Jaarsveld, Paul J.; Faber, Mieke; van Stuijvenberg, Martha E.
- food fortification, etc ; corn meal; households; iron; nutrient deficiencies; rural areas; supermarkets; vitamin A; wheat flour; white bread; zinc; South Africa; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... A national mandatory food fortification program, fortifying wheat flour and maize meal with various micronutrients, was introduced in South Africa in 2003 to address micronutrient deficiencies. This study aimed to determine vitamin A, iron, and zinc content of raw maize meal and wheat flour bread sampled at household level from 2 urban and 2 rural areas in South Africa and to compare with the regu ...
- Tulchinsky, Theodore H.
- Nutrients 2015 v.7 no.4 pp. 2518-2523
- food fortification, etc ; at-risk population; children; education; folic acid; food industry; food security; foods; iodine; issues and policy; mothers; nutrient deficiencies; pandemic; poverty; private sector; public health; vitamin A; vitamin B12; vitamin D; zinc; South East Asia; Show all 21 Subjects
- ... Micronutrient deficiency conditions are a major global public health problem. While the private sector has an important role in addressing this problem, the main responsibility lies with national governments, in cooperation with international agencies and donors. Mandatory fortification of basic foods provides a basic necessary intake for the majority and needs to be supported by provision of esse ...