Jump to Main Content
- Mincer, Tracy J, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Frontiers in ecology and the environment 2015 v.13 no.10 pp. 541-546
- bacterial communities; basins; biogeography; coastal water; islands; issues and policy; marine ecosystems; oceans; plastics; sequence analysis; species diversity
- ... Microplastics (particles less than 5 mm) numerically dominate marine debris and occur from coastal waters to mid‐ocean gyres, where surface circulation concentrates them. Given the prevalence of plastic marine debris (PMD) and the rise in plastic production, the impacts of plastic on marine ecosystems will likely increase. Microscopic life (the “Plastisphere”) thrives on these tiny floating “islan ...
- Mincer, Tracy, et al. Show all 15 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2015 v.112 no.14 pp. 4251-4256
- Prochlorococcus; Synechococcus; Trichodesmium; carbon; genome; habitats; intergenic DNA; lifestyle; nitrogen; oceans; prokaryotic cells
- ... Understanding the evolution of the free-living, cyanobacterial, diazotroph Trichodesmium is of great importance because of its critical role in oceanic biogeochemistry and primary production. Unlike the other >150 available genomes of free-living cyanobacteria, only 63.8% of the Trichodesmium erythraeum (strain IMS101) genome is predicted to encode protein, which is 20–25% less than the average fo ...
- PubMed Central: