Jump to Main Content
- Di Bona, V.; Minetti, C.; Trotta, V.; Sella, G.; Lorenzi, M.C.
- Ethology, ecology & evolution 2015 v.27 no.1 pp. 79-92
- sex allocation, etc ; Polychaeta; ancestry; animal behavior; animals; artificial selection; correlated responses; correlation; ecology; eggs; hermaphroditism; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Sex allocation theory assumes that male and female reproductive functions share a common limited resource pool and are negatively correlated in hermaphrodites. Here we report on the first artificial selection experiment designed to test the existence of genetically-based correlations between sex functions in hermaphroditic animals. The polychaete worm Ophryotrocha diadema has a long juvenile male ...
- Calsbeek, R.; Duryea, M. C.; Goedert, D.; Bergeron, P.; Cox, R. M.
- Journal of evolutionary biology 2015 v.28 no.11 pp. 1975-1985
- sex allocation, etc ; Anolis; body size; breeding season; correlation; daughters; females; genetic correlation; heritability; lizards; males; prediction; sexual maturity; sires; sons; variance; viability; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Intralocus sexual conflict arises when selection favours alternative fitness optima in males and females. Unresolved conflict can create negative between‐sex genetic correlations for fitness, such that high‐fitness parents produce high‐fitness progeny of their same sex, but low‐fitness progeny of the opposite sex. This cost of sexual conflict could be mitigated if high‐fitness parents bias sex all ...