Jump to Main Content
- de la Filia, Andrés G; Bain, Stevie A; Ross, Laura
- Current opinion in insect science 2015 v.9 pp. 36-43
- sex allocation, etc ; arrhenotoky; arthropods; diploidy; ecology; gene expression; genes; haploidy; insects; males; mating systems; phylogeny; prediction; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Approximately 15% of all arthropods reproduce through haplodiploidy. Yet it is unclear how this mode of reproduction affects other aspects of reproductive ecology. In this review we outline predictions on how haplodiploidy might affect mating system evolution, the evolution of traits under sexual or sexual antagonistic selection, sex allocation decisions and the evolution of parental care. We also ...
- Di Bona, V.; Minetti, C.; Trotta, V.; Sella, G.; Lorenzi, M.C.
- Ethology, ecology & evolution 2015 v.27 no.1 pp. 79-92
- sex allocation, etc ; Polychaeta; ancestry; animal behavior; animals; artificial selection; correlated responses; correlation; ecology; eggs; hermaphroditism; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Sex allocation theory assumes that male and female reproductive functions share a common limited resource pool and are negatively correlated in hermaphrodites. Here we report on the first artificial selection experiment designed to test the existence of genetically-based correlations between sex functions in hermaphroditic animals. The polychaete worm Ophryotrocha diadema has a long juvenile male ...