Jump to Main Content
- Austen, E. J.; Forrest, J. R. K.; Weis, A. E.
- Journal of evolutionary biology 2015 v.28 no.1 pp. 65-79
- sex allocation, etc ; females; flowering; flowers; fruit set; leaves; males; prediction; probability; protandry; sex reversal; simulation models; surveys; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Variation among the leaves, flowers or fruit produced by a plant is often regarded as a nuisance to the experimenter and an impediment to selection. Here, we suggest that within‐plant variation can drive selection on other plant‐level traits. We examine within‐plant variation in floral sex allocation and in fruit set and predict that such variation generates variation in male success among plants, ...
- Benevides, Cristine Rodrigues; Rodarte, Ana Tereza Araújo; de Lima, Heloisa Alves
- Revista brasileira de botânica 2015 v.38 no.3 pp. 585-595
- sex allocation, etc ; coastal plains; dioecy; female plants; flowering; males; morphs; phenology; photoperiod; phylogeny; pollen; pollination; pollinators; reproductive success; temperature; tropics; vegetation; Brazil; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Dioecious species are dependent on pollen vectors for sexual reproductive success. Male and female plants can express different blooming strategies, which respectively favour pollen donation and reception. This study characterised the flowering phenology of ten dioecious species, with different floral resources and pollination systems. The study focused on an area of sandy coastal plain in southea ...