Jump to Main Content
- Austen, E. J.; Forrest, J. R. K.; Weis, A. E.
- Journal of evolutionary biology 2015 v.28 no.1 pp. 65-79
- sex allocation, etc ; females; flowering; flowers; fruit set; leaves; males; prediction; probability; protandry; sex reversal; simulation models; surveys; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Variation among the leaves, flowers or fruit produced by a plant is often regarded as a nuisance to the experimenter and an impediment to selection. Here, we suggest that within‐plant variation can drive selection on other plant‐level traits. We examine within‐plant variation in floral sex allocation and in fruit set and predict that such variation generates variation in male success among plants, ...
- Hersh, E.; Madjidian, J. A.; Andersson, S.; Strandh, M.; Armbruster, W. S.; Lankinen, Å.
- Journal of evolutionary biology 2015 v.28 no.7 pp. 1321-1334
- sex allocation, etc ; Plantaginaceae; developmental stages; females; flowers; greenhouses; hermaphroditism; males; mating systems; outcrossing; pistil; pollen; pollination; population; seed set; seeds; stigma; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Sexual conflicts and their evolutionary outcomes may be influenced by population‐specific features such as mating system and ecological context; however, very few studies have investigated the link between sexual conflict and mating system. The self‐compatible, mixed‐mating hermaphrodite Collinsia heterophylla (Plantaginaceae) is thought to exhibit a sexual conflict over timing of stigma receptivi ...