Jump to Main Content
- Lohse, Kathleen A., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Ecological research 2015 v.30 no.5 pp. 951-961
- Alces alces; ammonium compounds; bags; cation exchange; conifers; ecosystems; feces; habitat preferences; herbivores; microclimate; microhabitats; nitrates; nitrogen; nitrogen cycle; riparian areas; sampling; soil; ungulates
- ... Ungulates use habitat with differential microclimate characteristics; therefore, fecal inputs to a particular habitat may result in vastly different rates of decomposition and nutrient release. We tested this hypothesis and conducted a 1-year decomposition experiment where we deployed fecal samples from Shiras moose (Alces alces shirasi) and subsequently measured loss of fecal mass, nutrient relea ...
- Lohse, Kathleen A., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Biogeochemistry 2015 v.123 no.3 pp. 447-465
- carbon; carbon dioxide; carbon sinks; clay fraction; climate; climate change; cold; coniferous forests; dissolved organic carbon; forest ecosystems; growing season; landscapes; linear models; monsoon season; rain; regression analysis; snowmelt; snowpack; soil heterogeneity; soil respiration; soil temperature; soil water; summer; topography; water content; winter; Arizona; New Mexico
- ... A changing climate has the potential to mobilize soil carbon, shifting seasonally snow-covered, forested ecosystems from carbon sinks to sources. To determine the sensitivity of soil carbon fluxes to changes in temperature and moisture, we quantified seasonal and spatial variability of soil carbon dioxide (CO₂) fluxes (N = 746) and dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in leachate (N = 260) in high-eleva ...