Jump to Main Content
- Paruk, James D., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- The Wilson journal of ornithology 2015 v.127 no.3 pp. 510-514
- Lanius; acclimation; adults; animals; life history; metabolism; resting metabolic rate; seasonal variation; summer; Wisconsin
- ... Resting metabolic rate (RMR) represents a significant component of an animal’s energy budget and is correlated with ecological, physiological, and life-history parameters. We measured resting metabolic rates of 14 adult Northern Shrikes (Lanius excubitor) wintering in northern Wisconsin (Ashland and Bayfield Counties) over a 2-year period (Jan–Apr 2008 and 2009). The average (±SE) RMR was 3.09 ± 0 ...
- Paruk, James D., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- The Condor 2015 v.117 no.4 pp. 485-493
- Gavia; adults; birds; breeding sites; oil spills; philopatry; satellites; survival rate; wintering grounds; California; Louisiana; Maryland; Massachusetts; Washington (state)
- ... In many avian species, breeding site fidelity has been more thoroughly investigated than winter site fidelity, yet the latter may have a greater impact on survivorship. The Common Loon (Gavia immer) is an example of a species whose breeding site fidelity has been well established, but whether it exhibits winter site fidelity remains unknown. Because Common Loons primarily winter in marine waters o ...