Jump to Main Content
- Shaw, Joseph R., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Journal of insect physiology 2015 v.80 pp. 22-30
- Daphnia pulex; biosynthesis; females; genes; insect physiology; juvenile hormones; life history; males; progeny; rearing; sex determination
- ... Sex-determination systems can be divided into two groups: genotypic sex determination (GSD) and environmental sex determination (ESD). ESD is an adaptive life-history strategy that allows control of sex in response to environmental cues in order to optimize fitness. However, the molecular basis of ESD remains largely unknown. The micro crustacean Daphnia pulex exhibits ESD in response to various e ...
- Shaw, Joseph R., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Comparative biochemistry and physiology 2015 v.171 pp. 1-7
- Fundulus heteroclitus; aquaporins; arsenic; arsenites; cell membranes; euryhaline species; fish; freshwater; genes; intestines; loci; osmotic stress; reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction; saline water; sequence analysis; transporters; North Carolina; Rhode Island
- ... Killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) are euryhaline teleosts that are widely used in environmental and toxicological studies, and they are tolerant to arsenic, in part due to very low assimilation of arsenic from the environment. The mechanism of arsenic uptake by the intestine, a major route of arsenic uptake in humans is unknown. Thus, the goal of this study was to determine if aquaglyceroporins (A ...
- PubMed Central:
- Shaw, Joseph R., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Molecular ecology 2015 v.24 no.8 pp. 1844-1855
- Chlorophycota; Daphnia pulex; diet; functional response; gene expression; gene expression regulation; genes; keystone species; nutrient content; transcription (genetics)
- ... Despite a significant increase in genomic data, our knowledge of gene functions and their transcriptional responses to environmental stimuli remains limited. Here, we use the model keystone species Daphnia pulex to study environmental responses of genes in the context of their gene family history to better understand the relationship between genome structure and gene function in response to enviro ...