Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: lange?
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Plant ecology 2015 v.216 no.6 pp. 835-846
- Bouteloua gracilis; Hesperostipa comata; Pascopyrum smithii; buds; dormancy; fire season; grasslands; growing season; mortality; plant communities; prescribed burning; spring; summer; Montana
- ... In perennial grassland dominated systems, belowground bud banks regulate plant community dynamics. Plant community responses to disturbance are largely driven by the ability to generate future aboveground growth originating from belowground axillary buds. This study examined bud bank dynamics for Bouteloua gracilis, Hesperostipa comata, and Pascopyrum smithii following fire in northwestern mixed-g ...
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Rangelands 2015 v.37 no.3 pp. 119-124
- air temperature; autumn; beef cattle; climate; cow-calf operations; data collection; decision making; forage; forage production; grazing; growing season; models; rain; ranchers; rangelands; seasonal variation; snow; spring; stocking rate; summer; winter; yearlings; Great Plains region; Montana; North Dakota; Wyoming
- ... Ranching is a challenging and sometimes risky business, with cattle production (and associated enterprise income) largely being dependent on seasonal weather patterns and corresponding forage production. To help reduce this risk, the USDA–Agricultural Research Service performed a multistate study of seasonal weather effects on cattle production across the Northern Great Plains (Wyoming, North Dako ...
- Vermeire, Lance T., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Oecologia 2015 v.177 no.4 pp. 959-969
- atmospheric precipitation; climate; climate models; covariance; evaporation; evapotranspiration; graminoids; grasslands; growing season; plant communities; plant growth; prediction; primary productivity; regression analysis; temperature; Western United States
- ... Although climate models forecast warmer temperatures with a high degree of certainty, precipitation is the primary driver of aboveground net primary production (ANPP) in most grasslands. Conversely, variations in temperature seldom are related to patterns of ANPP. Thus forecasting responses to warming is a challenge, and raises the question: how sensitive will grassland ANPP be to warming? We eval ...