Jump to Main Content
- Stumbo, Phyllis J.
- Procedia Food Science 2015 v.4 pp. 13-17
- agricultural experiment stations, etc ; computer techniques; food composition; nutrient databanks; Connecticut; Show all 5 Subjects
- ... Food composition tables are largely a twentieth century product. The early tables in America developed by W. O. Atwater in the 1890's at the Storrs Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station grew exponentially during the first half of the 20th century as one after another vitamin and mineral was found to be essential for life. As tables became more complex the user required better tools for calcu ...
- Landa, Edward R.; Shanley, James B.
- Soil science 2015 v.180 no.3 pp. 87-89
- agricultural experiment stations, etc ; acid deposition; coal; combustion; crops; economic depression; energy use and consumption; inventories; soil; sulfur; New Jersey; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... A 1936 New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin provided an early quantitative assessment of atmospheric deposition of sulfur for the United States that has been compared in this study with more recent assessments. In the early 20th century, anthropogenic sulfur additions from the atmosphere to the soil by the combustion of fossil fuels were viewed as part of the requisite nutrient supp ...