Jump to Main Content
- Fedderwitz, Frauke; Björklund, Niklas; Ninkovic, Velemir; Nordlander, Göran
- Physiological entomology 2014 v.39 no.2 pp. 103-110
- Hylobius abietis; Picea abies; adults; egg production; females; forest regeneration; girdling; locomotion; males; plant response; seedlings; Europe
- ... The pine weevil [Hylobius abietis (L.); Coleoptera: Curculionidae] has a high economic impact on forest regeneration in Europe. The general biology of the pine weevil has received considerable attention, although there is insufficient knowledge about its diel behaviour and time budget. Therefore, in the present study, the feeding and locomotion behaviour of individual adult weevils on Norway spruc ...
- Gagné, Raymond J.; Graney, Lorraine
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 2014 v.116 no.4 pp. 378-393
- Dasineura; Mayetiola; Picea abies; Picea glauca; adults; branches; burrows; eggs; galls; larvae; new combination; new genus; pests; planting; shoots; spring; trees; Europe; North America
- ... Dasineura abietiperda (Henschel), a European pest of Norway spruce, Picea abies (Pinaceae), is reported as new to northeastern North America where the tree is widely planted and valued as an ornamental. Adult gall midges emerge in early spring, mate and deposit eggs on twigs or new shoots. The larvae burrow into tissue causing swellings to form under bud scales and less frequently along shoots or ...