Jump to Main Content
- Limb, Ryan F.; Engle, David M.; Alford, Aaron L.; Hellgren, Eric C.
- Rangeland ecology & management 2014 v.67 no.4 pp. 397-405
- Juniperus virginiana, etc ; botanical composition; canopy; ecosystems; grasslands; herbaceous plants; indigenous species; plant communities; sowing; trees; woody plants; Oklahoma; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Woody plant encroachment in natural grasslands is a widely documented global phenomenon that alters ecosystem dynamics by altering historic vegetation composition and suppressing herbaceous productivity. Abundant woody plants often suppress native plants sufficiently to establish successional thresholds difficult to reverse without species augmentation. Juniper (Juniperus virginiana L.) is expandi ...
- Stambaugh, Michael C.; Marschall, Joseph M.; Guyette, Richard P.
- Forest ecology and management 2014 v.320 pp. 83-95
- Juniperus virginiana, etc ; Quercus; demographic statistics; ecosystems; fire regime; humans; land use change; plant communities; prescribed burning; trees; vegetation structure; woodlands; Oklahoma; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Science-based information is needed that quantitatively links changes in fire regimes to vegetation succession, while offering a context for fire management. To demonstrate an approach to filling this need, we reconstructed the fire, vegetation, and environmental history at four oak woodland sites in Oklahoma and discussed the information relevance to local and regional fire issues. During the las ...