Jump to Main Content
- Jaspers, Veerle L.B., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2014 v.472 pp. 454-462
- Tyto alba; birds of prey; early warning systems; environmental health; feathers; flame retardants; food chain; liver; molting; muscles; pollution; polybrominated diphenyl ethers; preening; tail; tissues; urbanization; uropygial gland; Belgium; France; Netherlands
- ... The present study investigated the current-use brominated flame retardants (BFRs) tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA) and hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD), simultaneously with legacy polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), in Barn Owls (Tyto alba) collected from two regions with a contrasting degree of urbanisation and vicinity to point sources (Flanders in Belgium versus Normandy in France). Both tissues ...
- Jaspers, V., et al. Show all 15 Authors
- Environment international 2014 v.67 pp. 12-21
- Aquila chrysaetos; Buteo buteo; European Union; Falco peregrinus; Falco tinnunculus; Haliaeetus albicilla; Strix; Tyto alba; anticoagulants; birds of prey; eagles; eggs; feathers; flame retardants; fungicides; humans; immune system; issues and policy; lead; metalloids; monitoring; organochlorine insecticides; polychlorinated biphenyls; questionnaires; rodenticides; surveys; tissues; toxicity; Eastern European region; Europe
- ... Biomonitoring using raptors as sentinels can provide early warning of the potential impacts of contaminants on humans and the environment and also a means of tracking the success of associated mitigation measures. Examples include detection of heavy metal-induced immune system impairment, PCB-induced altered reproductive impacts, and toxicity associated with lead in shot game. Authorisation of suc ...