Jump to Main Content
- Arnao, Marino B., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Trends in plant science 2014 v.19 no.12 pp. 789-797
- abiotic stress; antioxidant activity; biosynthesis; environmental factors; explants; field crops; gene expression regulation; genes; leaves; melatonin; plant growth substances; rhizogenesis; root growth; seed germination; shoots
- ... Melatonin regulates the growth of roots, shoots, and explants, to activate seed germination and rhizogenesis and to delay induced leaf senescence. The antioxidant properties of melatonin would seem to explain, at least partially, its ability to fortify plants subjected to abiotic stress. In this Review we examine recent data on the gene-regulation capacity of melatonin that point to many interesti ...
- Arnao, Marino B., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Food chemistry 2014 v.160 pp. 134-140
- Cynara cardunculus subsp. cardunculus; antioxidant activity; artichokes; ascorbic acid; bracts; byproducts; canning; cutting; dietary fiber; functional foods; functional properties; gallic acid; heat treatment; inulin; quercetin; water content
- ... In this study, the basic chemical composition and functional properties of six by-product fractions collected from different steps of artichoke industrial processing were evaluated. Fractions differed in thermal treatment, the bract position in the artichoke head and the cutting size. Contents of moisture, ash, protein, fat, dietary fibre, inulin, total phenolics, total flavonoids, caffeoyl deriva ...