Jump to Main Content
- Castro-Vazquez, Alfredo, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Symbiosis 2014 v.63 no.3 pp. 149-155
- Citrobacter; Enterobacter; Lactococcus; Pomacea canaliculata; Pseudomonas; bacteria; carbon; insects; intestinal microorganisms; nitrogen; pH; snails; uric acid
- ... In previous studies we have mapped uric acid deposits in specialized tissues of the invading apple snail Pomacea canaliculata. Uric acid stores function as reservoirs of combined nitrogen in insects. The first step for recycling uric acid nitrogen involves the action of uricase and here we explored the occurrence of uricase-positive bacteria in the gut of this snail. Six bacterial strains assigned ...
- Castro-Vazquez, Alfredo, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Zoologischer Anzeiger 2014 v.253 no.5 pp. 372-381
- Neogastropoda; ammonia; aquatic invertebrates; calcite; calcium; cilia; egg composition; eggs; embryogenesis; grazing; hatching; ingestion; juveniles; molecular weight; nitrogen metabolism; proteins; scanning electron microscopy; seawater; shell gland; snails
- ... Embryo morphology, feeding mechanism and changes in composition of the egg capsule content during development (intracapsular fluids and embryos) were studied in Odontocymbiola magellanica from newly spawned egg capsules to the pre-hatching juvenile stage. Changes in embryo morphology and behavior are presented, based on observations and micrographs of living specimens and scanning electron microsc ...