Jump to Main Content
- Coelho, Elisabete, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Carbohydrate polymers 2014 v.99 pp. 415-422
- alkali treatment; arabinoxylan; beta-glucans; depolymerization; esterification; phenolic acids; polymerization; potassium hydroxide; spent grains; starch; temperature; thermal degradation; xylose
- ... Microwave superheated water extractions (MWE) were performed to evaluate the feasibility of this technology for quantitative recovery of the arabinoxylans (AX) or arabinoxylo-oligosaccharides (AXOS) from brewers’ spent grain (BSG). The AX+AXOS yield increased with the increase of the temperature in the range from 140 to 210°C during 2min. The higher temperatures promoted depolymerisation, debranch ...
- Coelho, Elisabete, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Industrial crops and products 2014 v.52 pp. 136-143
- ambient temperature; arabinoxylan; cellulose; citric acid; energy; ethanol; ingredients; nitrogen; potassium hydroxide; proteins; sodium hydroxide; spent grains
- ... The objective of this work was to design an integrated process to valuate brewer's spent grain (BSG) proteins and arabinoxylans (AX) to be used as food ingredients. For this purpose, a sequential extraction of proteins and AX from BSG with increasing alkali (KOH or NaOH) concentrations of 0.1M, 0.5M, and 4M, was optimized. A ratio of 1:2 (w/v) (weight of BSG by volume of alkali solution) at room t ...