Jump to Main Content
- Schuurman, Nora; Nyman, Jopi
- Sociologia ruralis 2014 v.54 no.3 pp. 285-302
- Finnhorse, etc ; horses; music; nationalities and ethnic groups; rural development; Show all 5 Subjects
- ... In eco‐national discourses, animals and other nonhumans are represented as national through their position as native breeds or species. In this article, we investigate the definition of the animal as a representative of a ‘national breed’ and its support to nation‐building. This article is a case‐study of the contemporary representation of the Finnhorse as a ‘national breed’ in the context of Finn ...
- Hemmann, Karin; Raekallio, Marja; Vainio, Outi; Juga, Jarmo
- Applied animal behaviour science 2014 v.156 pp. 37-43
- Finnhorse, etc ; animal behavior; animal models; genetic correlation; genome; heritability; juveniles; loci; mares; pedigree; purebreds; quantitative traits; questionnaires; risk; sires; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... Crib-biting in horses is a stereotypical oral behaviour with a prevalence of 2.8–15%, varying between breeds. A genetic basis for crib-biting has been suggested by many researchers, but due to incomplete information on families or the lack of a sufficient number of verified crib-biters, heritability has not been determined for any horse population. However, the involvement of inheritance in behavi ...
- Hemmann, K.; Ahonen, S.; Raekallio, M.; Vainio, O.; Lohi, H.
- Animal 2014 v.8 no.3 pp. 347-353
- Finnhorse, etc ; cadherins; case-control studies; dopamine receptors; environmental factors; gene frequency; genes; genotyping; ghrelin; ghrelin receptors; horses; leptin; loci; questionnaires; risk factors; serotonin; single nucleotide polymorphism; surveys; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Crib-biting in horses is a stereotypic oral behaviour. Genetic susceptibility has been suggested on a causal basis, together with environmental factors such as stress, gastric discomfort and frustration caused by stall restrictions. This study aimed to test the associations of known or suspected stereotypic genes with equine crib-biting, including Ghrelin, Ghrelin receptor, Leptin, Dopamine recept ...