Jump to Main Content
- Kemp, William P, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Environmental entomology 2014 v.43 no.4 pp. 1045-1052
- Megachile rotundata; brood cells; environmental factors; females; insect larvae; larval development; males; nesting; phenotype; prepupae; rearing
- ... Megachile rotundata (F.) (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae) is the primary pollinator of alfalfa in the northwestern United States and western Canada and provides pollination services for onion, carrot, hybrid canola, various legumes, and other specialty crops. M. rotundata females are gregarious, nest in cavities either naturally occurring or in artificial nesting blocks, where they construct a linear s ...
- Kemp, William P., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of insect physiology 2014 v.66 pp. 20
- Megachile rotundata; X-radiation; abdomen; adults; anaerobic conditions; animals; brood cells; carbon dioxide; correlation; eggs; head; hypoxia; image analysis; insects; leaves; metamorphosis; nesting; oxygen; pupae; tracheae (invertebrates)
- ... Megachile rotundata, the alfalfa leafcutting bee, is a solitary, cavity-nesting bee. M. rotundata develop from eggs laid inside brood cells constructed from leaf pieces and placed in series in an existing cavity. Due to the cavity nesting behavior of M. rotundata, developing bees may experience hypoxic conditions. The brood cell itself and the position of cell inside the cavity may impact the rate ...