Jump to Main Content
- Lidbury, Ian, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2014 v.111 no.7 pp. 2710-2715
- ABC transporters; Escherichia coli; Roseobacter; Ruegeria; bacteria; enzymes; genes; heterologous gene expression; metabolism; mutagenesis; seawater; surface water; trimethylamine
- ... Trimethylamine N -oxide (TMAO) is a common osmolyte found in a variety of marine biota and has been detected at nanomolar concentrations in oceanic surface waters. TMAO can serve as an important nutrient for ecologically important marine heterotrophic bacteria, particularly the SAR11 clade and marine Roseobacter clade (MRC). However, the enzymes responsible for TMAO catabolism and the membrane tra ...
- PubMed Central:
- Lidbury, Ian, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Environmental microbiology 2014 v.16 no.10 pp. 3318-3330
- Escherichia coli; Methylocella; biochemical mechanisms; dimethylamine; forest soils; formaldehyde; genes; metabolism; mutagenesis; mutants; nitrogen; sequence homology; trimethylamine
- ... Methylocella silvestris, an alphaproteobacterium isolated from a forest soil, can grow on trimethylamine N‐oxide (TMAO) as a sole nitrogen source; however, the molecular and biochemical mechanisms underpinning its growth remain unknown. Marker‐exchange mutagenesis enabled the identification of several genes involved in TMAO metabolism, including Msil_3606, a permease of the amino acids‐polyamine ( ...