Jump to Main Content
- Miller, Kristina M., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Comparative biochemistry and physiology 2014 v.173 pp. 7-16
- Oncorhynchus gorbuscha; Oncorhynchus nerka; adults; air; apoptosis; cortisol; cytochrome c; estradiol; exercise; females; fisheries; gene expression; genes; lactic acid; males; salmon; stress response; transcription factors
- ... Despite the common mechanisms that underlie vertebrate responses to exhaustive exercise stress, the magnitude and the timecourse of recovery can be context-specific. Here, we examine how wild, adult male and female pink (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) and sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) salmon respond to and recover from an exhaustive exercise and air exposure stressor, designed to simulate fisheries captur ...
- Miller, Kristina M., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Molecular ecology 2014 v.23 no.23 pp. 5803-5815
- Infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus; Oncorhynchus nerka; acoustics; freshwater; gene expression; gene expression regulation; genes; immune response; interferons; lakes; mortality; pathogens; physiological response; salmon; signal transduction; smolts; telemetry; transcription factors; Canada; Pacific Ocean
- ... We present the first data to link physiological responses and pathogen presence with subsequent fate during migration of wild salmonid smolts. We tagged and non‐lethally sampled gill tissue from sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) smolts as they left their nursery lake (Chilko Lake, BC, Canada) to compare gene expression profiles and freshwater pathogen loads with migration success over the first ...