Jump to Main Content
- Shepherd, Keith D., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Biosystems engineering 2014 v.121 pp. 177-185
- air drying; basins; cation exchange capacity; civil engineering; clay; clay fraction; extensibility; laboratory techniques; least squares; materials testing; near-infrared spectroscopy; prediction; reflectance; shrinkage; soil mechanical properties; soil types; spectrometers; water content; Kenya; Lake Victoria
- ... Materials testing involve complex reference methods and several soil tests have been used for indexing material functional attributes for civil engineering applications. However, conventional laboratory methods are expensive, slow and often imprecise. The potential of soil diffuse reflectance near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy for the rapid estimation of selected key engineering soil properties was ...
- Shepherd, Keith D., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2014 v.187 pp. 47-51
- data collection; decision making; development projects; ecosystem services; farmers; land tenure; landscapes; livelihood; livestock; magnesium; models; rapid methods; socioeconomics; uncertainty; Eastern Africa
- ... Development programs have typically neglected uncertainty and variability in terms of outcomes and socio-ecological context when promoting conservation agriculture (CA) throughout sub-Saharan Africa. We developed a simple Monte Carlo-based decision model, calibrated to global data-sets and parameterized to local conditions, to predict the range of yield benefits farmers may obtain when adopting CA ...